When we are living in a country that is not where we were born, there is a period in which we want to take another step in our expatriation. It means that we decide to apply to obtain the nationality of our host country. However, the acquisition of the nationality depends on each legislation and the country where you are.
Dominican Republic Citizenship Law
Citizenship law in the Dominican Republic is open to everyone, it does not matter if you came for business or pleasure, and you can obtain residency or citizenship. Nevertheless, you must have certain requirements, such as being 18 years old or more, you must live in the country and you must have a health certificate, evidence of financial health, a police record and others.
Dominican Republic Citizen Benefits
Getting a Dominican Republic citizenship gives the opportunities of obtaining a passport and a lot of commercial guarantees in all areas: tourism, services, imports and exports. Also, you will be allowed to have a dual citizenship.
Even though you are a foreign, you will have all rights equal to native, except from the ability to run for presidency of the republic.
Dominican Republic Citizen Cost
To date, the cost of Dominican citizenship is 100 dollars, it is said that it is one of the most economic costs in the world according to the Caribbean citizenship investment program. To be elected in the program the citizen must have a good reputation in the environment in which it operates.
The investment is mainly economic, the person buys apartments, houses, businesses that are owns and it’s progressively transformed into a source of employment for new people who seek to enter the country.
Dominican Republic Citizen Requirements
To obtain a Dominican Republic residency it is necessary to complete two fundamental procedures.
- The first is to get a provisional status, which is valid for one year from the date the person receives his / her residence card, you have to renew it once a year for a total of five years.
- After that, and once the provisional residence has expired, the applicant must submit an application to the state of permanent residence. So, once obtained, the permanent residence must be renewed every two years. Dominican Republic has the lowest cost for a citizenship. If you want to choose a cheap option, take a look at this country.
Temporary (provisional) Residence | First Step
The application has to be submitted to the Dominican Migration Department. It will be valid for one year and you can live and work without any problem with the temporary residence. You have to renew your temporary residence any year for 5 years. Then you can apply to permanent residence.
- First, you have to send a letter of application addressed to the consul or the Minister of Foreign Relations. In it you should put your name, place of residence, nationality and the activity that you will perform in the country; if you are in a company sumit the company name and charge. Then explain the connection you have with the country, that’s means you have to say if you are Dominican by origin, a work, married to a Dominican or others. You should consider to sumit an economic solvency.
- Stuffed the Visa Application Form
- Valid passport with at least two photocopies.
- Birth certificate and its photocopy.
- Medical Certificate, notarized and translated into Spanish. The original and the translation must be apostilled.
- Police certificate or certificate of good conduct. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and apostilled. If the applicant has previously resided in the Dominican Republic that document must be issued by the Attorney General’s Office.
- Certificate of the Department of Migration with proof of the last entry of the person to the country and copy of the Tourist Card.
- Work contract.
- Marriage certificate if the application includes the spouse. This document must be notarized, translated into Spanish and both must be apostilled.
- Permission of the parents or guardian in the case of minors. If the child is not to be accompanied into the country by both parents, it is required that the parent who is not in the Dominican Republic authorizes the other parent to move with the child permanently to the Dominican Republic. This document must be notarized, translated and apostilled.
- Birth certificate of the children should be included if the application includes children. This document must be translated into Spanish and apostilled.
- Three pictures, size 2 x 2 inches, with a white background.
All documents need to be presented in original and four copies with the exception of the passport and the cost will be US$125.00
Permanent Residence | Second Step
Foreigners have to live in the Dominican Republic with a temporary residence for 5 years, before obtaining permanent residency. For Permanent residency you need the same requirements for temporary visa and:
- Permanent Residence Application Form
- Medical Examination Results
- Certificate of Good Conduct issued by Dominican Police
- Good conduct affidavit by two witnesses
- Temporary Residence Card
- A total of four (4) recent photographs (2 x 2 inches). Two facing the front and two facing sideways, with a white background
The office to the Department of Migration (Extranjería) is in Av. George Washington (a Malecón – boulevard along the sea). Centro de los Heroes, Santo Domingo.Tel. 809 508-2555 Ext. 246. Office hours: Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 3:00pm.
Dominican Republic Citizen Through Parent
In principle, every person born in the country acquires the citizenship of the Dominican Republic. The father who preaches a foreign one, must give the right to his son to obtain the new nationality. There are two types of citizenship belonging to the nationalized citizenship and to the children who were born abroad.
Naturalized citizenship is the most useful type of procedure for the child or person to acquire citizenship without any problem. The baby’s birth certificate is needed to determine with more precision that the child is the product of the union of love between two people.
Dominican Republic Citizen Through Marriage
Even if you have married a Dominican citizen, you must do each of the steps mentioned above. You will have to opt first for temporary visa and then the permanent, the only thing in wich marriage can help you is in shortening the time of waiting for the permanent visa.
Dominican Republic Citizen Through Investment
In the Dominican Republic, there is a Caribbean investment program to obtain citizenship with the most economic costs in the market. The Dominican Commonwealth has given many of its citizens abroad, visas to continue traveling the world.
The Dominican investment is assigned to the Ministry of Finance and based on the requirements to obtain the nationality established by the laws of the Republic.